The habitual products and services of a completely modernised pharmacy harmoniously occupying one of the city’s oldest commercial spaces – that is Farmácia Andrade. After opening in 1837, the pharmacy played a pioneering role in Pasteurisation methods and introducing the first injectable drugs in glass vials. When visiting the pharmacy, note in particular the stucco ceiling in relief and the cabinets in dark exotic wood. If possible, ask to take a look at the back room, where an enormous mirror amplifies the space and the lamp, initially gas-operated, embodies the shop’s 18th century heritage. It was at these counters in the back room that medicines were mixed and prepared, in the days before pre-packed, ready-to-use medication.
That custom, long since disappeared, is something that Farmácia Andrade endeavours to recover, at least in part, through its own products prepared in a laboratory on the first floor; it produces essentially creams prescribed by doctors. There the creams are prepared, poured into bottles and handed over directly to the customer. Each bottle features a label with the product name, quantity, batch, expiry date, the pharmacy’s contact info and even the customer’s name. Just like how things used to be.
Drugs/medicines and other pharmacy products