Occupying a Pombaline-style building, visible in the stonework arches, Silétrica is the only store in its sector, being an example of commercial resilience, unlike other shops, such as Lisbonense, F Leite, JSL, Telvox, Sealuz or União, forced to leave this downtown (Baixa) artery.
Silétrica is a model in local commerce, serving residents and large public or private institutions. It maintains a workshop space for repairs and customer assistance. In the store's assets, a highlight is a Diploma from Philips Portugal awarded to SILÉTRICA “for its collaboration in the development and expansion of Philips in Portugal”.
Founded in December 1955 by Manuel Alves de Morais Canaveira and João Alves de Morais Canaveira, the company “Silvânia Eléctrica Portuguesa, Ld.ª.” was forced, by court decision, to change its name to “Silétrica – Sociedade Eléctrica Portuguesa, Lda.”.
Since 1962, Silétrica has maintained its activity in the current facilities on Rua da Madalena, integrating the office and warehouse. João Paulo da Fonseca, the current majority shareholder of the company, started out in 1982 as an employee at the store.